Favorite Tools

posted in: tools, toys | 9

As a designer I don’t do the normal process that I see many knitters enjoy–finding the perfect yarn for the perfect project. Most often my yarn is pre-determnied. So instead I spend far too much time (and money!) collecting all the knitting tools a knitter could need. I don’t have just one knitting kit, but two (and now I think I might need a third!). So, today here are my must-have tools.

First, the small Knitter’s Tool Box from Nancy’s Knit Knacks that sits on my coffee table (or on the bookshelf when we clean up and have people over).

Knitter's Tools, by Mari Chiba from Mari Knits

This compact tool box has little dividers and I can organize all my different stitch markers and there’s room for some other larger tools too.

Knitter's Tools, by Mari Chiba from Mari Knits

Inside are my HiyaHiya puppy snips, a tapestry needle, a small Lantern Moon crochet hook, a key for tightening my interchangeable needles, and little rubber grippy things also for tightening interchangeable needles. On the right is the case with a ton of different stitch markers. The big downside to this case is it doesn’t fit a measuring tape.

This is my traveling knitting kit, that I always throw in my knitting bag as I go out the door, and the rest of the time sits on my desk where it’s readily available.

Knitter's Tools, by Mari Chiba from Mari Knits

An adorable bag from JP Knit and Stitch, A Susan Bates Knit Check, a crochet hook, a highlighter (for marking the size in a pattern), waste yarn, a cable needle, a Hello Kitty tin with stitch markers, the best scissors ever–Sajou scissors, a Kelbourne Woolens tape measure, Milk+Honey Anywhere balm, and a tube of Spud & Chloe tapestry needles.

What are your must have tools?

9 Responses

1. Soosiee

I didn’t even know half these things existed! I have scissors, a crochet hook, tapestry needle and stitch markers in a short water glass. I have a ruler in the box where I keep my yarn. I need to get shopping!

2. GG

great tools! Those scissors are on my wish list! And I love the hello kitty tin

3. Sherryl

I received the small box as a Christmas gift, l love it don’t know how l got along without it

4. Mary Lynn

In every knitting bag, I have a pair of “cheater” eye glasses. In a small bag, all throw together, a pair of kids scissors the ones with the protective top (a friend gave me those), crochet hooks, stitch markers, tapestry needle, ruler that doubles as a size guide for needles and a $5 bill. Have no idea where the $5 came from. It has been in there for years.

5. Cindy

Where did you buy your little pink divided tiny tool box? I think I could use that instead of the prescription medicine bottles that I currently use. This looks a lot nicer. 🙂

• Mari

I got mine at Warm ‘n Fuzzy, they are from Nancy’s Knit Knacks and I think you could probably find it online too.

6. Jan

Could you tell me where you can purchase the Milk+Honey – I have so much problems with my hands since I’m in my 70’s the skin is much thinner, and dries out a lot – and that equals very sore spots on my hands. Help me please? Jan in Kansas

• Mari

There’s a link in the post, you can buy it online.

7. Jan Coleman

Mh stuff is scattered everywhere. Time to organize