FO Friday: Free Baby Blanket Pattern

One of my good friends from college is expecting her first baby this fall, and I couldn’t help but knit a little something for her baby! I started it pretty early as I knew I wasn’t going to have time closer to her due date, and I didn’t want it to fall by the wayside, so I didn’t yet know the gender.

Sunshine Chevron Baby Blanket by Mari Chiba

I (sort of followed) my Sunshine Chevron Blanket, available for free from Knit Picks. Mostly due to an error in my knitting (I was knitting in the car!) I only worked Rows 1-18, so instead of chevrons the blanket has diagonal stripes!

Sunshine Chevron Baby Blanket by Mari Chiba

I forgot to measure it before mailing away, but I used 4 skeins of Billow, and followed the same number of stitches for the cast on as in the pattern, so I’m guessing it turned out the same size as the original sample.

Sunshine Chevron Baby Blanket by Mari ChibaThe cotton yarn is extremely soft but it did shed a fair bit while I was knitting. I ran it through the washer and dryer (because it’s cotton–it should be machine washable, right?! Even if the tag doesn’t say so…) and that seemed to cut back on the shedding. I’m really hoping she likes it!

10 Responses

1. judith roberson

The blanket is beautiful no matter the color or pattern. When the baby out grows it Mom can ware it as a shawl.

2. Christine

I love this baby blanket pattern but could not find the pattern to print. How do I print this? Thanks

• Mari

You should be able to download the pattern from KnitPicks and then print that.

• Christine

Got it. Thanks for sharing this baby blanket pattern.

3. Cynthia

I don’t see it on KnitPicks under “Patterns” – “free,” “independent designers,” or “Baby & Children Patterns.” I must have overlooked it, but could you please tell me where?

4. Alice

Your blanket above does not look like the pattern – how did you vary the pattern? I really like how this looks. I am currently knitting the pattern as written (thank you very much! Really like it!) – but would like to make a second one to look like the picture above. Thanks so much! Alice

• Mari

Alice,
      I didn’t do the second part of the chart, so instead of zig-zagging it just zigs for a diagonal pattern.

5. […] FO Friday Free Baby Blanket Pattern Mari Knits […]

6. Becky

Loving this pattern! Your email came just as I was looking for a pattern for a friend. I needed something simple yet elegant with earthy fibers. I have never worked with this yarn before…. So nice to work with! I’m not a fast knitter, but it’s turning out beautifully! Thank you so much for sharing!