Stitched With Love

posted in: baby, crochet | 6

Swans Island is currently hosting the Swans Island Legacy Contest. The prize is a hand woven throw worth $690. It looks amazing.

To enter the contest they ask that you share the story of something that means a lot to you. Whether it’s hand crafted or store bought, whether it’s something that’s new but really special or something that’s been passed on for generations, what is it, and why does it mean so much to you?

Of course, I’m going to enter. The throw is gorgeous, how could I not?! But, I also thought I’d share my item with all of you as well, so here goes.

my childhood crocheted blanket, from Mari Knits

This is my “blankey”, crocheted for me by my grandma. I was born in Japan, and my grandma came to Japan to be with my mom when I was born, and I assume she brought this blanket with her. As a young child I took my blankey with me everywhere, and couldn’t imagine going to bed without it.

my childhood crocheted blanket, from Mari Knits

One time when we were still living in Japan we flew to the US to visit my grandma and the rest of my family. I accidentally left blankey behind on the plane. I was HEARTBROKEN. The plane went on to Atlanta, and I cried “blankey went to Georgia!”. Luckily blankey was promptly sent back on another flight back to Portland and we were able to retrieve blankey from the airport the next day. But I can still remember, that was a rough night without blankey. My grandma tried to give me a white shawl to sleep with instead. I was not fooled.

Blankey now sits in a plastic bin under my bed, along with Brian’s crochet blankets from when he was a kid. It’s been almost ten years since my grandma passed away, but every time I catch a glimpse of my blankey in the plastic bin I think of her.

my childhood crocheted blanket, from Mari KnitsBlankey was well loved and shows many signs of wear. I’m not sure what the yarn is, but it feels to me like a cotton/nylon blend. Somehow, it survived many years of being dragged around from room to room, country to country.

6 Responses

1. Lauren

When I was 25, my Aunt and Uncle moved into a country home up north, having retired from busy Detroit. It was a few miles from town so they would shop, can and freeze goods for the winter. My Aunt knit and sewed in the winter because it was a long, shut-in season. For my birthday that year, she made me a Double-Wedding-Ring quilt. It has not one machine stitch on it!! She did the whole quilt by hand. Imagine that!! It is a true treasure.
    Well, my dear Aunt and Uncle have long since passed on. I am now 67 years young and I still have that beautiful quilt!! I have it wrapped up in my closet and pull it out once in a great while to cuddle up with in my own winters.
    The Aunt’s great grand-daughter is just 18, going to college in the fall and I’m seriously contemplating giving the quilt to her when she turns 25….with a promise of handing it down to her children. I want to make sure Aunt’s loving work is enjoyed by the families to come.

2. Deborah Mindick

The most prized possession I own is a beautiful hand carved cameo that is about 150 years old. My grandmother brought the cameo from Italy when she immigrated in 1900. It was said to have been her mother’s who passed away when she was a little girl. My mother gave me the cameo about 40 years ago – I am 63 years old now. I treasure the cameo for many reasons, it has been passed through the generation of women on my mother’s side – several of the women had challenging lives – be it coming to America for a better life with my grandmother, or her mother who passed away from tuberculosis when my grandmother was a little girl – how hard that must have been – knowing you were sick and had to leave a small child – from my mom who is now nearly
    95 years old with dementia and she struggled after being divorced and survived without any formal education beyond high school.
    The cameo is now mine – I strive to make our line strong, educated, and knowledgeable about the ways of women – whether it be
    in crafting, knitting, sewing, or needlework – cooking and loving to prepare foods for your family and friends – and maintaining a home and garden – no matter what your funds are – but treasuring your home like it is your kingdom. I have one daughter and
    three sons and 8 grandchildren (plus one on the way) – I shall treasure my cameo until it is time to pass it on to my daughter to
    create her own story and love of the cameo.

3. Evie Harduvel

Every year at christmas my grandfather made sure all of his grandkids got a christmas card in the mail addressed to them and he also would knit us a pair of mittens. I have the last pair of mittens he knitted for me when I was, I was 7 years old, I am now 60 and the mittens still look brand new, they where made with love from the most wonderful grandfather anyone could ask for. He taught me to have pride, honor and respect and that money can’t buy love but time and investment in making something for the people you love is priceless.

• Mari

How wonderful! Do the mittens still fit, too?

4. Rosemarie Bonk

I love my Great Grandmother’s dark sage green dress with black velvet ribbon trim. I have it on a dress form in my bedroom. And with it I have an original picture of her and her husband and she is wearing that very dress. She was a very tiny woman. The dress looked very difficult to get into and out of with all the snaps and hooks. It was actually two-piece. Gorgeous.
    My Mom let my Aunt wear it for Halloween one year and she managed to tear the dress. So sad my Mom would let her take such a precious possession. When it was given to me, I repaired it, washed the dress and then put it in the dryer. It came out all twisted. Oh! what have I done!! I managed to wet it again, dried it on a hangar, pressed it and then made sure to protect it. I saved it!!!! Thank God!! It’s from the mid 1800’s. I also have her hair fancy hair “pin”. I treasure these and hope they will be as meaningful for my children. Thanks for this opportunity to tell my story.

• Mari

Rosemarie,
      Do you have a photo of the dress? It sounds beautiful, I’d love to see it!