Knitscene Fall 2015 Solitude Jacket

I’m really excited to be Knitscene Fall 2015’s featured designer. My friend and colleague from my day job at Stitchcraft Marketing, Stefanie Goodwin-Ritter, wrote a lovely article about me, and in this issue I have 4 seamless sweater designs.

I’ll be blogging about the other three designs later on, but today I’d like to write about my Solitude Jacket, which is currently in lead for the pattern of choice for a KAL hosted by Knitscene on Ravelry, you can vote for your favorite design and participate in the KAL in the Knitting Daily Knit-Alongs Ravelry Group. Voting ends on Friday, July 10, and the KAL will start on Friday, July 24th! Of course, I’m hoping that one of my designs will win and be chosen for the KAL.

Solitude Jacket by Mari Chiba, Knitscene Fall 2015
© Knitscene/Harper Point

The Solitude Jacket is named after the yarn, a beautiful American yarn from Solitude Wool. The yarn I used is the Solitude Wool Romney, a lustrous long wool that’s perfect for sturdy garments that will wear beautifully for years to come. The yarn has a lovely sheen and was a delight to knit. With all the recent upheaval about yarns from China that are mislabeled with other fibers it’s great to know there are companies who are doing it right–Solitude Wool focuses on breed specific yarns and sources its wool from small farms around the US, and then sends the yarn to be milled at family owned mills along the east coast. It’s American made from sheep to skein! I chose the un-dyed brown for my design, because I wanted to highlight the natural beauty of the sheep and the resulting yarn.

Solitude Jacket by Mari Chiba, Knitscene Fall 2015
© Knitscene/Harper Point

The sweater is worked from the bottom up in one piece, the sleeves are worked separately in the round, and then the body and the sleeves are combined to work the circular yoke all in one piece. Stitches are then picked up to work the shawl collar, making this an extra cozy sweater perfect as an outer layer on chilly fall days!

Solitude Jacket by Mari Chiba, Knitscene Fall 2015
© Knitscene/Harper Point

The design was originally inspired by a sweater I saw on Pinterest. (Oh how many design ideas come from my Pinterest page!)

kaitori-drop.com
kaitori-drop.com

Here’s the sketch I sent to Knitscene. As you can see, the finished sweater didn’t change much from my original sketch–other than the buttons became toggles.  solitude sketch

If the Solitude Jacket gets chosen as the KAL pattern in the Ravelry group I’m contemplating making a baby version of this sweater…what do you think?

11 Responses

1. Willi

I voted for you. What a great story behind this yarn! Normally I go for bright colors but I love this natural yarn. I bought some alpaca yarn last fall directly from an alpaca farm and it was the same color as your Solitude sweater. The skeins had the names of the alpacas who contributed to the skein and I received a picture of one of the Alpacas. Now that’s what I call knowing where your yarn came from!!! I even met the alpacas in person!

2. laura

So cozy!

3. Robin

I love the design and the color you chose for this sweater…I’m going to have to buy this copy of Knitscene to get the pattern so I can make one for myself! Thank you for the story on how you designed this beautiful jacket….and for the pictures and pattern so I can make one for myself (or maybe my daughters)!

4. Mom

It actually has some resemblance to the cardigan I knit for your grandfather in the ’90’s. I used the same buttons, too. This design is wall cooler, however. Grandpa would be very impressed!

5. Kendra

I really like this design and the yarn. It’s such a beautiful natural color. I think I like it without the pockets best. I wish I could do the KAL, but still working on another KAL and way behind!

6. Maryzona

Oooh! Snuggly! I vote for a baby version! Since I live in the Phoenix are, I have a limited need for sweaters, so I am more apt to make baby sweaters because I know babies in cold climates.

7. Gretchen

We love this jacket Mari! It does our Romney yarn proud.
    I’m so glad you enjoyed knitting with it. I raise Romney sheep and some of the wool from my flock is in this yarn. We do have lots of dyed colors that would also look great in this jacket, plus natural white, gray and are waiting to get a new oatmeal blend back from the mill. I will be dyeing more this month too. If you want to knit this design, and don’t see the color you were dreaming of, I would take color wish orders for custom dyeing…
    Gretchen Frederick, Solitude Wool email: f-fsolitude@mindspring.com

8. Deborah Mindick

I voted for this sweater jacket! I hope it wins, I would love to do the KAL and need to check out the solitude yarn immediately! LOL
    I love your sweaters shown in Knitscene – of course, this jacket was my favorite and YES do a baby and maybe child version too!
    Keep up the great work! It was so much fun seeing you as the prominent designer in this month’s Knitscene!

• Mari

Deborah,

I hope you’ll join in for the KAL! Thanks so much for the kind words 🙂

9. Clara

I plan to join the KAL. I may be be a little slow getting started because I’m finishing up on another KAL. I’m excited to work on the Solitude jacket. This is my first online KAL.

10. Heidi

I just bought my copy of knitscene for your patterns! Thanks for sharing. I have never bought this magazine before and I love it!